The CAHFS Viral Molecular Diagnostic service analyzes unique genetic markers to rapidly identify viruses. This allows CAHFS to detect common infectious agents, foreign animal diseases and other threats to animal and human health.
- Veterinary virologist with a special commitment to test development and assay validation, often working at the national level to improve diagnostic virology and molecular diagnostics; available for consultation and test interpretation.
- Experienced and qualified technicians proficient in all testing areas
- Highly sensitive and specific polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing for a wide range of infectious agents
- Test methods that meet nationally approved validation standards
- Vigilant monitoring for genetic changes in disease agents affecting animals
- Regular evaluation of new diagnostic testing needs and trends
- High bio-containment laboratory (BSL3) for optimal biosecurity when working on high consequence viruses
- California’s only USDA-approved laboratory for Foreign Animal Disease testing as a member of the National Animal Health Laboratory Network (NAHLN)